Coleman Law Group

Negligence Claim

How Negligence Claims Work in Tampa

When you are in a car accident, you assume that one person is at fault. But in Tampa, determining fault for negligence is a much more complicated process. Even if a driver in a car accident is determined to be at fault, they may not be assigned the entirety of the blame. Which is why even for claims that look cut and dry, it's important to find a good auto accident lawyer to represent you.

Whose Fault is It?

According to Florida personal injury law, there are three statements that must be proved true to assign fault.

  • The driver had a responsibility, or duty, of care in the situation.
  • Their actions showed a breach of that duty.
  • Your injuries and damages happened because of their breach of care.


Your Tampa auto accident attorney will attempt to show that the other driver's negligence led directly to the accident. However, even if they convince the court and insurance companies that the other driver is at fault, the court may not see the accident as entirely their fault. For instance, if extreme weather contributed to the driver not being able to slow down, the court may decide they are only 90% responsible. That means their insurance company will only cover 90% of your damages.

If there are multiple cars involved in an auto accident, fault may be divided up between drivers. So, your car accident lawyer may seek 40% of damages from one insurance company, and the other 60% from another.

Work with a Personal Injury Lawyer in St. Pete or Tampa

Coleman Law Group is here to help St. Petersburg or Tampa drivers to get the best settlement for their car accident claims. If you've been involved in a car accident or personal injury claim, call today to speak with one of our experienced personal injury lawyers. Get knowledgeable advice, personal care, and a legal team that will fight to get you what you deserve.

Are you or a loved one injured in an accident? Our attorneys can help. We care and we fight hard to hold negligent parties accountable and get your life back. Let us show you what we can do for you.

¿Usted o un ser querido ha sufrido lesiones en un accidente? Nuestros abogados pueden ayudarle. Nos preocupamos y luchamos duro para responsabilizar a las partes negligentes y recuperar su vida. Permítanos mostrarle lo que podemos hacer por usted.

An Experienced Personal Injury and Accident Lawyer with Proven Results

Un Abogado con Experiencia en Lesiones Personales y Accidentes con Resultados Comprobados

Request A Free Consultation

We would be happy to talk with you